Thursday, May 5, 2011

Child's Prayer

One of my favorite pieces this semester is a depiction of my memories of Papa. I was originally looking for a picture of his face in our family's photobooks but strangely couldn't find a picture of his face. And then I stumbled across a photo I think I took when I was seven of Papa picking up Angie to kiss her. It was perfect because 1) I can't really remember his face anymore, and 2) I remember his giant hands. I used the original photo, my drawing, and other photos to create a 70 layer photoshop picture. Over the picture I wrote a prayer for Papa. No one can read it, except God, Papa and I. The various elements are: lilies of the valley, History Channel, balloons from the hospital, tulips, planes, clouds, and only things a child would remember about a person. I printed it on handmade paper to give it an intimate feel that is fragile and also antiqued. I really love this piece.


The Drawing
The Print
A close up



1 comment: