Friday, March 25, 2011

Snapshot Memory


Taking Bailey for runs with my dad is something I've always wanted to romanticize in a piece of art. We would sit on the back of the truck to watch Bailey prance and dart through the field. We were often accompanied by a peaceful silence. It was a time to enjoy company with my dad as well as the vastness of nature that surrounded us. It may seem like a mundane activity to some but it will always be special to me.

In this project students were asked to appropriate another famous artist's work into our own using only found materials. I found a ratty brown frame at Savers and antiqued it myself. Then using collage and Wisconsin picture books, I created this David Hockey-like landscape. The collage helped create a sort of snapshot memory; each square is part of something larger. The squares get smaller and tighter to create a focus on Bailey who is a painted element. He is leaping from the landscape, away from my dad who sits on the truck bed. It's a tribute to my family's dog bailey, who we lost this past summer.






No comments:

Post a Comment